How to clean fabric lined car seats
Clean fabric seats in your car will help you maintain the general cleanliness of your vehicle and to avoid bad smells due to the accumulated dirt or stains that were not removed in time. You yourself can do this with products that you already have at home, but specific cleaners can also be purchased. In OneHowTo we explain in detail how to clean fabric seats in cars.
To maintain clean fabric lined seats in cars it is recommended that once a week you vacuum the surface of the seats with a vacuum cleaner. Do it from the centre portion of the seat outwards and emphasizing on the section where the back and bottom rests join as this area tends to accumulate dirt.
After vacuuming, you have two options to complete the cleaning of your car seats:
- Use a purpose specific dry foam and apply this on the upholstery and leave for a few minutes; time will vary according to the instructions provided by the manufacturer. You can purchase this product in any car accessories store.
- Use a damp sponge, dampen this with water made soapy by use of a little laundry detergent.
Do the cleaning with all the car doors open and let the car air for half an hour when you are done.
If you have had the misfortune of spilling something on the car seat and this product has left a stain, you must act quickly to prevent the fabric from absorbing it and making the removal of dirt impossible. Therefore, it is advisable that you carry moistened towels in the car with which to clean the stain at once.
Here is how to tackle some stains:
- Vomiting: the most effective is soap and water.
- Mud: when dry, rub it with a dry brush and, once it is removed, clean the area with a dampened brush.
- Grease: You must use aggressive products that have components such as benzene or acetone.
With these actions you will keep the fabric seats of your car in good condition and make your vehicle free of odours. In this other article you will find tips for cleaning leather car seats.
If you'd like to read similar articles to How to clean fabric lined car seats, we recommend you browse around our Car Maintenance and Repair category.